[korra_rich_title title="A New Twist on The Classic Moscow Mule" tag="h2"]
A Moscow Mule has nothing to do with Moscow or mules.
It's actually the American invention of two guys at the Los Angeles Cock 'n' Bull bar in 1941. One was the bar manager, and the other was a Smirnoff exec who wanted to sell vodka to Americans. The drink served in the iconic copper mugs became very popular in Hollywood. In recent years there has been a resurgence of its popularity that coincided with the explosion of a new cocktail culture.
It hits the spot either way.
A classic Moscow Mule involves just lime juice, vodka, and ginger beer (not ginger ale) poured over ice in a copper mug. My version adds blood orange juice and a drizzle of pomegranate syrup or molasses. You can easily make pomegranate syrup by following my recipe here, or you can purchase it online or at your local Middle Eastern grocer.
Pomegranate syrup (or molasses) works in a plethora of recipes from savoury (like my Mediterannean Grilled Octopus Recipe) or sweet. It is incredibly versatile and delicious, and it is very easy to make at home upon which it will keep refrigerated for ages.
I guarantee you will find countless surprising uses for pomegranate syrup after adding it to your pantry.
In my Moscow Mule concoction, the sweet tang of pomegranate syrup works together with the intense aroma of blood oranges to add something distinctly flavourful and refreshing.
Enjoy all year long.
Blood Orange & Pomegranate Syrup Moscow Mule
- Prep Time: 5
- Total Time: 5
- Category: Beverages
- Method: Cocktail
- Cuisine: American
- Juice of 1 lime, freshly squeezed
- 6 oz. ginger beer
- Juice of ½ of 1 blood orange, freshly squeezed
- A drizzle of pomegranate syrup or molasses
- Squeeze lime juice into a copper Moscow Mule mug.
- Squeeze blood orange juice into mug.
- Add ice cubes and then pour in the vodka and fill with cold ginger beer.
- Add a drizzle of the pomegranate syrup or molasses on top.
- Serve with a stirring rod and optional garnish of fresh mint or rosemary.
Keywords: moscow mule, blood orange, pomegranate syrup