Fatty, salty pork is a perfect compliment for the intense sweetness of Medjool dates.
Bacon-wrapped Medjool dates make an easy and delicious appetizer or snack. This recipe requires only three ingredients: bacon strips, Medjool dates, and pistachios (see more variations at the end) for stuffing.
Whether you're hosting a party or picnic, bacon-wrapped Medjool dates come together very quickly. Dates on their own are overwhelmingly sweet for my palate, the salt and fat of bacon takes that edge off.
I chose to stuff the dates with pistachios, but here are some other ideas for you:
- Goat Cheese
- Manchego Cheese
- Roasted Garlic
- Dried fruits like apricots, mangos, cherries, or figs
You can use combinations of the above. Or even nothing at all. Bacon-wrapped dates are equally lovely on their own. Make more than you think you need, the taste is addictive and they go fast.
A drizzle of maple syrup or pomegranate molasses after baking is also recommended, but completely optional.
Have you made bacon-wrapped Medjool dates before? Let me know what you think in the comments.
- Medjool Dates approximately 3 per person
- Thick or Thin cut Bacon Strips ½ of a regular strip of bacon per date
- Pistachios 3-4 per date
- Preheat oven to 400 F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Make a shallow slit along the dates, lengthwise, and remove the pits.
- Stuff each date with approximately 3 pistachios.
- Cut your bacon strips in half and roll each individual date up in one half. Secure with a toothpick to prevent unravelling.
- Arrange your wrapped dates on the baking sheet, keeping them spaced enough so that they do not touch.
- Bake for 15-minutes. Using tongs, flip your bacon-wrapped dates over and bake for 5-10 minutes more.
- Keep an eye out so that the bacon does not burn. It will turn a golden colour when ready.
- Serve immediately, or at room temperature. They keep well.