Portuguese Caldo Verde Soup With Roasted Garlic
A rustic and traditional soup from Portugal. Caldo Verde, meaning “green broth,” is rich and satisfying comfort food.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Soup
- Cuisine: Portugese
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped into small pieces
- 1 head of roasted garlic
- 5 large cloves minced fresh garlic
- 2 lbs of Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 lbs kale, torn into small pieces
- 2 Lires (9ish cups) of good homemade beef or chicken stock
- 1 1/2 lbs of finely diced hard Portuguese Chouriço sausage, Linguiça, or Spanish Chorizo
- Sea Salt & Pepper
- Place a heavy bottomed soup pot over medium heat. Add the olive oil and onions, sauté until translucent.
- Add the FRESH garlic. Sauté until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the finely minced sausage and stir until some of the fat from the sausage has rendered and coloured the mixture reddish orange.
- Add the ROASTED garlic and stir, breaking the garlic up with a wooden spoon.
- Next add the potatoes, chopped kale, beef or chicken stock, and a big pinch of sea salt. Bring to a boil and then lower the heat. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes to soften the potatoes and kale.
- Taste, then add salt as needed, and freshly cracked black pepper.
You can substitute swiss chard, collard greens, or mustard greens for the kale.
This soup tastes even better the next day.
Keywords: Portuguese, caldo verde, soup, sausage