- Grilled octopus tentacles (2 per person). For a detailed description on grilling octopus, read my article Mediterannean Grilled Octopus by clicking here.
- 2 sweet potatoes (or as per your potato/yam preference)
- 1 tablespoon of lard or fat/oil of your choice
- Hot smoked paprika
- Garlic powder
- Sea salt
- Lemon wedges and olive oil (for serving)
- Parsley or microgreens (for garnish)
- Grill octopus as per instructions and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- Peel your sweet potatoes and cut them in half crosswise.
- With a mandoline outfitted with its waffle-cut blade, thinly slice the potatoes into waffle-cut rounds, making sure to remember to rotate the sweet potato 90 degrees between every cut.
- In a large bowl coat the waffle-cut sweet potatoes with melted lard and then the hot smoked paprika and garlic powder (about 1 teaspoon of each).
- Spread the sweet potatoes evenly on a baking sheet and sprinkle with sea salt.
- Bake until the potatoes are crisp and golden, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Assemble a layer of sweet potato waffle fries on a plate, top with two octopus tentacles.
- Add some microgreens or parsley for garnish.
- Serve with lemon wedges and a drizzle of olive oil.