Ajoblanco Extremeño (Cold Spanish Soup)
A cold and refreshing soup from Spain, Ajoblanco Extremeño is a lovely summertime soup.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Soup
- Method: Blender
- Cuisine: Spanish
- 4 cups of stale sourdough bread, soaked overnight in milk
- 1 bunch white asparagus
- 3 cups full-fat whole milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 1-2 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for garnish and serving
- Sea Salt & Black Pepper
- Bring a pot of water to boil and simmer the white asparagus until tender.
- Remove and allow to cool, trimming off the tender tips, and discarding any woody or stringy ends.
- In a blender, combine the milk, garlic, half of the cooled asparagus, milk-soaked bread, and 1 cup of cold water and blend at high speed until creamy. If the mixture is lumpy, you may wish to sieve it through a fine mesh.
- Add the egg yolk and blend for another minute.
- Remove mixture from blender and whisk in the olive oil.
- Season with salt, fresh cracked black pepper, and extra virgin olive oil.
- Transfer soup to the refrigerator until well chilled.
To Serve: take the remaining cooked white asparagus spears and toss them in a mixture of olive oil and salt & pepper. Rub your croutons with olive oil and fresh garlic. Shake or stir your soup and thin with cold water or milk if necessary. Serve soup with asparagus spears and croutons on top. Add another drizzle of olive oil, a pinch of salt, and more black pepper to taste.
Add tomatoes and/or cucumbers and omit the white asparagus for a more traditional and authentic Ajoblanco Extremeño.
Keywords: Ajoblanco Extremeño, spanish soup, cold soup